True Food Kitchen, Plano

I am on a constant quest to achieve balance, and that is especially true when it comes to my nutrition. It’s hard out here for a food blogger who is a foodie but wants to be fit and fine (all Summer ’17). I really try to live by the 80/20 rule, by eating clean 80% of the time and giving myself some leeway the other 20% . I couldn’t be more excited when I found out  True Food Kitchen was opening in Plano (my hood!).  The menu is a fit foodie’s  dream. I attended the soft opening with my MIL(Mother-in-Love), who is a pescatarian and this menu was perfect for her as well.

IMG_20170519_192905

True Food Kitchen was started in Phoenix by physician Andrew Weil who wanted to create a restaurant that featured nutrient rich foods that did not sacrifice flavor. The menu features lots of organic and gluten free options. And most of the dishes could be served vegetarian or vegan . Not only is the food amazing, but the setting  is beautiful.

IMG_20170519_192845

The restaurant has rich oak tables, and wood beams on ceiling. Mint green booths and pops of canary yellow chairs look into the huge open kitchen, and the windowsills are lined with green potted plants, creating a fresh and inviting space. Our servers Claire and Charles were very attentive and knew the menu well.  They offered great suggestions.

IMG_20170519_192849

Appetizers

We split the sweet potato and poblano soup. It had a very Southwestern flavor with the pico de gallo. I couldn’t even tell it was sweetpotato because it had a smooth creamy flavor. For an appetizer I ordered the charred cauliflower and my MIL got the Torched Avocado. The cauliflower was savory but had a hint of sweet since it was tossed with dates and pistachios. It sounds odd, but these two flavors paired well together. The torched avocado was served cold with cucumber “noodles” that were crunchy and fresh. This is a perfect summer salad.

IMG_20170519_195104

IMG_20170519_195056

IMG_20170519_195051

Drinks

True Food Kitchen has craft cocktails and a juice bar where all the juices are hand pressed and made to order. I got the Hangover RX  juice which is made with pineapple, orange, honey and coconut water. It was fruity and refreshing. For my cocktail I got the Blueberry Royal because it has Prosecco and you know your girl loves bubbles. It was crisp and fizzy. My MIL got the Kale Aide juice, which looks like the perfect green concoction for breakfast or after a tough workout. It has kale,ginger, apple, celery, and cucumber. My MIL loved it. She got the citrus skinny margarita for her cocktail and said it was good and not too sweet.

IMG_20170519_194424

IMG_20170519_194253

IMG_20170519_201209

IMG_20170519_202505

Entree

For the main course my MIL ordered the spaghetti squash casserole. It came out bubbling with fresh mozzarella and chunks of ripe tomatoes. I got the Scottish Steelhead trout served on a bed of greens with roasted red and yellow beets, and farro. It was delicious. The fish was grilled perfectly, crisp on the outside and tender and flaky inside.

IMG_20170519_200913

IMG_20170519_200924

Dessert

We barely had room for dessert, but still managed to sample the chocolate cake which was my favorite. The key lime pie, was not as creamy as I prefer mine,  and that may be because it is dairy free. However, the flan which is also dairy free because it is made with almond milk, was delicious. It was creamy and full of caramel and vanilla flavor in every spoonful (and let’s just say I had a few spoonfuls).

IMG_20170519_203805

IMG_20170519_203812

IMG_20170519_205259

My MIL and I truly enjoyed True Food Kitchen. Although we ate enough for the entire New Edition (just watched the biopic…again;) , we did not feel heavy and weighed down by our meals. I cannot wait to return and try the pizzas and the bowls. True Food Kitchen also has a Dallas location if you don’t feel like venturing to the burbs.  If you’re not in the Big D, there are locations nationwide, so find one near you.

*Disclaimer: This post is sponsored. All reviews and opinions for items gifted to me are my own.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s